GeauxTeach allows students to pursue an undergraduate degree in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics AND earn secondary teaching certification at the same time. No additional hours are required, since elective hours are used for education courses. GeauxTeach participants can still graduate with their content degree in four years and be both certified and highly-qualified to teach upon graduation.
Freshmen and sophomores can “test-drive” this program before making a commitment by taking Step 1, BASC 2010.
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? More options, same degree...It really is a no-brainer!
- You have more options when you graduate.
- This concentration offers a unique skill set. Being able to talk about and teach your content will increase your depth of understanding. Knowledge of different learning/teaching styles will make you a better communicator and leader in any group situation. These are just a few examples of the invaluable skills that will make you stand out in any career path you choose.
- Whether you teach, pursue a career with your content degree, or continue with professional or graduate school, you will be more marketable and better prepared for the challenges you face.
- Teacher certification is seen as a plus when applying to medical or graduate school. Also, if you don’t get into graduate school immediately, you can earn between $43,000 and $47,000 annually teaching in Baton Rouge area schools until you are admitted.
- There is a desperate shortage of qualified math and science teachers in Louisiana and across the country. Therefore, it will be easy to find employment upon graduation. You have the opportunity to encourage more young people to succeed in math and science, thus shaping the future of our nation.
Want updates about the GeauxTeach Program? Become a GeauxTeach friend on Facebook. Click here to join.